Dd Form 1746 Application For Assignment To Housing Connect


Great Lakes Housing Overview

Availability of housing at Great Lakes is good at both the naval installation and within the local off-base civilian community. Information and other housing service assistance can be obtained through either the Great Lakes HRO or Hunt, aka Great Lakes Family Housing Management Office. Information about Unaccompanied Housing can be on obtained through the front desk of Admiral Boorda Hall.  The front desk is open 24/7.

Government Housing

Military Housing Privatization

Our Public Private Venture (PPV) Partnership at Great Lakes with Hunt Companies was implemented effective as of February 22, 2016. Hunt Companies assumed total responsibility of the day-to-day operation, management and maintenance functions of previously government owned military family housing at the Great Lakes naval base. Prior to Hunt Companies, Forest City Residential Management was the naval installation’s PPV partner from January 1, 2006 through February 22, 2016.  

Application and Eligibility

Application for assignment to PPV housing at Great Lakes must be submitted to the Navy HRO upon receipt of Permanent Change of Station orders. Applications must be made on DD Form 1746 (Applications for Assignment to Housing), and submitted with a copy of Permanent Change of Station orders, Page 2 (Emergency Dependency Data Record), and Detachment Endorsement (NAVCOMPT Form 3067). Military service members applying for PPV housing at Naval Station Great Lakes should NOT submit a housing application through our PPV partner’s third party website HomeLink.com located on their website at www.navygreatlakesfamilyhousing.com. The appropriate housing application package to complete pertaining to applying for PPV housing at Naval Station Great Lakes can be provided to military service members upon request via the Navy HRO e-mail address: greatlakeshousing@navy.mil.

Note: Military service members applying for PPV housing at Naval Station Great Lakes must complete and provide along with the DD Form 1746 housing application, a Sexual Offender Addendum Form, which can be obtained at the Navy HRO. This requirement is also applicable to service members applying for unaccompanied bachelor housing as well. Policy guidance regarding this requirement is contained in OPNAVINST 1752.3 and CNICINST 5009.3. Forms can also be obtained here.


Military service men, women, and/or their family members can ascertain the availability of PPV housing by contacting the Hunt, aka Great Lakes Family Housing Management Office at 847-689-4312 Monday through Friday, during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. (the Navy HRO is not responsible for availability)

PPV Pet Policy

There is a dog breed restriction policy associated to PPV housing assignment that prohibits the following breeds: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Chow Chows, Doberman Pinschers or Perro de Presa Canarios. No barn yard or exotic pets such as chickens, ducks, ferrets, rabbits, reptiles etc. will be allowed.

Temporary Lodging

Temporary lodging accommodations can be obtained by contacting either the Navy Lodge or Navy Gateway Inn & Suites (NGIS). Both facilities are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When making reservations, please ensure to inform the reservationist if executing Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. To make reservations at the Navy Lodge, call 1-800-NAVYINN (628-9466) or visit their website. To make reservations at the NGIS, military personnel on PCS orders can call 1-877-NAVYBED (628-9233), 847-688-3746, or DSN 312-792-3746. Reservations at the NGIS can also be made through the central reservations system website.

The room rate at the Navy Lodge is $70 a night, which includes amenities such as Queen size beds with kitchenette, as well as complimentary breakfast to go, served between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Pets no larger than 50 lbs are also allowed at the Navy Lodge at an additional fee for families on PCS orders. Two pets may be accommodated. Room rates and amenities for NGIS can be obtained when making reservations.

Visitors Quarters (TDY): Visitors to Naval Station Great Lakes may obtain reservation information by accessing the website or by calling 1-877-NavyBed (1-877-628-9233). Guests coming here on orders will need a copy of their orders and ID card upon check-in. Use of government travel cards is the preferred method of payment. Major Credit Cards are accepted, excluding American Express, and Discover. Reservations should be made as far in advance as possible.  NGIS check-in time is 3:00 p.m. and check out is 11:00 a.m. Reservations that are not confirmed prior to 6:00 p.m. will result in cancellation of reservation.

Bachelor Personnel in the grade E5 and above: Bachelors in the pay grade E5 and above may be authorized to draw BAH and live off base.

Geographical Bachelor (GB): Berthed in double occupancy room with shared bathroom. Rooms have limited space and furnishings. Cable TV, DSL and telephone service is available but is the responsibility of each resident to set up a contract with the provider. Space to house GBs is limited, please contact the Front Desk at 847-688-2170 if intending on applying for GB status.

Note: Approval as a GB for berthing purposes at Naval Station Great Lakes is not guaranteed and must show hardship in GB request.

Single Service Member Housing

There is Single military billeting available with orders.  Single military service personnel interested in Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) should contact UPH (Central Billeting) at 847-688-2170 or DSN 312-792-2170.

Non-Government Housing

Navy Housing Referral Office (HRO) -- The Navy HRO is your contact for any problems you may encounter such as discrimination complaints, tenant/landlord disputes, or any questions or problems about off-base housing. The HRO will provide you a list of rentals with corresponding locator maps and give you information regarding the communities in which the rentals are located. All renters should obtain/carry renters insurance against fire, theft and other damages. The property owner's insurance will cover the property but not the renters personal property. 

For information regarding off-base community housing for sale or rent, please contact the Great Lakes Navy HRO. 

Average Cost of Living

Sperling's BestPlaces analyzes the average cost of living for this area based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means Lake County, IL is cheaper than the US average. A cost of living index above 100 means Lake County, IL is more expensive. Overall, Lake County, IL cost of living is 118.13.

Rental Options

Sperling's Best Places analyzes rental options to live in areas as follows:

North Chicago, IL Apartments and Rentals -- Renters make up 57.41% of the North Chicago, IL, population. 8.46% of houses and apartments in North Chicago, IL, are unoccupied (vacancy rate).

Lake County, IL Apartments and Rentals -- Renters make up 20.78% of the Lake County, IL, population. 4.25% of houses and apartments in Lake County, IL, are unoccupied (vacancy rate).

Purchase Options

Sperling's Best Places analyzes purchase options to live in the  areas as follows:

Moblie Homes

There a number of mobile home parks in the area but they are not adding new homes.

Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.

Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on Move.mil by watching the video presentation, "What's on Move.mil?"

Homeowners Assistance Program
Describes the programs and benefits available to some military families impacted by BRAC and PCSing personnel with mortgage shortfalls.

Navy Household Goods Channel
Subscribe to the Navy HHG’s YouTube channel for informational videos on DPS, move.mil and other household goods subjects.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Government Housing

Military Housing

All accompanied housing on the Okinawa is managed by the Housing Office on Kadena Air Base. Satellite offices are located at Camp Courtney and Camp Kinser. For unaccompanied Service Members, housing is available at Torii Station. For more information, please call 011-98-911-5111/5112 then dial the DSN number or DSN 315-644-4685/4294.


Eligible personnel can obtain an Advance Application Date for the housing waiting list provided an Advance Application DD Form 1746, is received by the Kadena Housing Office prior to arrival. Once the Kadena Housing Office receives the DD Form 1746, they assign the Advance Application Date for the waiting list based on the first day of the month prior to the month departed CONUS (stateside). In addition to submitting the DD Form 1746 prior to arrival, all personnel applying for housing must report to the housing office, "after checking in with their new command". If an Advance Application DD Form 1746 is not received by the Kadena Housing Office prior to arrival, newly arrived personnel will be assigned an Advance Application Date based on the date of walk-in. The DD Form 1746 is available at your current base housing office.


For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exhange, and food services. This is especially true in overseas locations where you will find yourself dependent on the support facilities and services on the installation much more than those in the U.S. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families.

Government housing is provided to military members and DOD Civilians who meet the appropriate criteria.

This includes:

  • Members on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them 
  • Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly 
  • Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement, on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependent 
  • Other eligible DOD Civilians on excess inventory basis only

Contact the Housing Management Office (HMO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

DOD Housing Office

Government housing is available in 7 different locations:

  • Kadena AB 
  • Camp Courtney 
  • Camp Kinser 
  • Camp Lester 
  • Camp McTureous 
  • Camp Foster 
  • Camp Shields

Effective 1 Aug 2009, all inbound accompanied military personnel are required to reside on base. Civilians will be assigned on an excess inventory basis only. Newly-assigned military members will be given a Family Housing Overview during the Newcomers briefing.

There are more than 8,300 on-base housing units, located on seven bases and camps throughout the island of Okinawa. Camps Courtney and McTureous comprise 12 percent of the housing inventory. Camp Kinser makes up another 12 percent. Camp Foster and Camp Lester has 28 percent, and Kadena Air Base has 48 percent of the inventory, which incorporates the Camp Shields and Chibana Housing areas.

Military Family Housing on Okinawa has a "Live Where You Work Policy," which means that every effort is made to offer members a unit closest to their duty stations. The DoD standard for commute time between home and work is 60 minutes or less.

Housing amenities include Stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Furnishing Management Office will also provide an array of furniture items (beds, sofa, table, chairs, etc) until household goods arrive.


Okinawa has a Joint Service Pet Policy for the ownership and control of pets in all Military Family Housing (MFH) areas. Certain dog breeds are prohibited in all MFH (i.e, Pit Bull/Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Chow, Canid-Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, pot bellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

All pet owners must ensure their dogs and cats are properly registered with the Base Veterinary Facility (VTF) within three days (72 hours) of arrival. All MFH residents will be required to complete the Pet Registration Form prior to assignment to MFH. Two domestic pets per household, defined as a cat, dog or a combination, are allowed in single dwelling units, duplexes, multiplex units and towers. In tower buildings, cats are allowed on all floors; however, dogs are only allowed on the first and second floors. For more information regarding the Pet Policy, please refer to the link provided under Featured Documents. Please remember that having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer.

Applying for Government Housing

Once you receive your orders, please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) and the Sex Offender dissclosure and Acknowledgement (AF Form 4422) through the HMO at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The effective date of the application is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY enroute) or the date ordered to active duty.

Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the HMO. HMO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. For walk-in applications, as long as you apply for government housing within 30 days of arrival, you will be placed on the waiting list effective the date you departed from your previous installation. After 30 days, the application date will be the date of the walk-in.

All incoming personnel must report to the HMO within 2-3 days of arrival on island. Housing In-processing Session is held Monday-Friday at 0830 local time (JST).

Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list.

Community Amenities

  • Jogging Trails 
  • Playgrounds 
  • Base Swimming Pool 
  • Golf Courses 
  • Picnic/Barbeque Gazebos 
  • Skate Park

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.Estimated vacancies and waiting times for housing are based on information available at the present time. Vacancies are affected by many variables, such as transfers, extensions, curtailments and refusals of quarters, all of which are beyond the control of the Housing Office.

The average waiting times are as follows:


Residing Off Base

Newcomers who plan to live off base can expect to pay a number of upfront costs prior to moving in to their house or apartment. Standard practice by housing agencies on Okinawa is to charge an agency fee usually equal to 25-50% of one month's rent, a security deposit equal to one month's rent, and first/last month's rent, all due at lease signing.

Though these types of charges are familiar to many newcomers, the rather high cost of housing on Okinawa (as of March 2010, overseas housing allowance for an E-5 with no dependents is 162,000 yen, roughly $1,800) can make these move-in costs a particular burden - it's not uncommon for members to have to fork over upwards of several thousand dollars.

To mitigate these expenses, the Department of Defense does provide several moving allowances (Move-In-Housing Allowance, Dislocation Allowance, etc.) to its PCSing members, but these are rarely enough to cover all of the move-in expenses. Check allowance rates here.

Many members opt to take out a pay advance in order to cover these costs - a quick and easy process that can be accomplished after arriving on Okinawa - but members are reminded that the advanced monies will be taken out of their pay in the ensuing months (usually a 12-month payback period) and are encouraged to plan for these costs prior to arriving on Okinawa.

Associated Links

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army Housing Online User Services
Army housing program's worldwide portal.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *