University Of Michigan Housing Contract Reassignment

Eligible students who have not signed a University Housing contract may utilize the contract reassignment process to take over the contract of another student. For fall term, participation is limited to students new to the university (i.e., freshmen and transfers). For winter term assignments, any enrolled student meeting the eligibility criteria may participate.

  • Begin by browsing the female or male postings by clicking the respective button below. You must be eligible for the space you want and must not already have a signed contract.
  • You are responsible for contacting the student whose contract you are interested in.
  • The process can be completed via email through the use of U-M email accounts ONLY.  The student with the contract MUST contact the Housing Information Office at from their U-M email account to request the reassignment paperwork to begin the process (beginning April 4 for Fall reassignments and beginning December 1 for Winter reassignments).

Contract Modification or Termination

A contract holder may petition to alter/terminate a contract for special or mitigating reasons not known at the time of contract submission. In any case, the reason must be one that cannot be resolved by the contract holder relocating to other University Housing facilities. Contract holders whose petitions are granted must vacate by the date and time mandated by University Housing. Termination requests initiated by residents are not automatic. Student contract holders withdrawing from the University must also follow withdrawal procedures of their school or college. The contract holder is responsible for all room and board (if applicable) charges up to and inclusive of the date of checkout, or half month if in a graduate space, regardless of the date of withdrawal from the University. No action—such as signing any other lease or contract for other housing—should be taken until the contract holder receives written notification of contract termination. The petition to alter/terminate a contract can be found on the University Housing web site.  Reasons for contract termination that are typically known in advance (e.g., graduation, marriage) require 30-day advance notice. 

Munger Graduate Residences Contract Modification or Termination

The transdisciplinary nature of the Munger program requires that students who are accepted to be part of this experience make a year-long commitment to fully engage with and immerse in the transdisciplinary nature of the Munger community. As a result, students should not submit a Munger contract unless they can commit to the full terms of the contract, including the length of the contract term.  

Munger contract holders are expected to honor the provisions of their respective contract through the entire contract term, including during academic internships and other out-of-class experiences. Neither graduation nor changes in eligibility are grounds for termination of the contract holder’s financial obligations under the contract.  


Special Circumstances: Emergency Removal or Relocation

If University Housing determines that a resident, household member or guest has violated the standards and values of the University/University Housing to the extent that he or she can no longer be a successful member of the community, the housing contract will be terminated. University Housing reserves the right to request or require a resident to leave University Housing when that resident's behavior significantly disrupts the community or poses a risk to any student (including self), staff, faculty or visitor. In such cases an Emergency Removal/Relocation meeting will be held with staff in the Housing Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution office and the resident. If removed from the halls a resident is still responsible for the room and board as outlined in their contract unless otherwise noted.

University Housing may attempt to work with the resident to create specific agreements concerning the resident’s behavior. Such agreements constitute an addition to the resident's housing contract. Violations of such agreements are grounds for termination of the contract. The University and the student may terminate the contract by mutual agreement for compelling extenuating circumstances. The University may terminate a housing contract on non-disciplinary grounds when a resident graduates or becomes ineligible to live on campus before the contract expires.


Substance-Free Assignments

A substance-free (“sub-free”) assignment is defined as a room where all roommates and their guests (including those of legal drinking age) agree to keep the space free at all times from substances that have the potential to damage their health or the community. These substances include, but are not limited to, the following:

● alcohol

● tobacco products (including smokeless)

● illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia

● illegally obtained prescription medications

Members of the substance-free community voluntarily choose substance-free housing. This commitment is taken very seriously by University Housing, and violations of the commitment may be handled by the Housing Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Process.

Contract Reassignment

A contract reassignment is the transfer of a contract from a resident with a submitted housing contract to an eligible student without a submitted contract. It is the contract holder’s responsibility to find a replacement. Procedures vary for undergraduate and graduate housing options. See the University Housing website for more information.

Reassignments are processed and approved through the Housing Information Office only. Reassignment of the contract does not release the original contract holder from liability for room and board payments. Should the new occupant fail to pay or remain eligible, the original contract holder will be held responsible for the terms and conditions of the original contract.

Contract Renewal

All University Housing contracts are for the specific duration printed on the contract and are not automatically renewable. Residents who wish to return to Housing will find more information on the renewal process on the Housing website.

Expiration of Contract Term

Undergraduate residence hall and Northwood III residents must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of their last exam, but no later than the end date and time stated in their contract, regardless of whether the academic term has expired. (Exceptions to this policy are described in Extended Stay.) Non-student, Student contract holders without final exams or located in Northwood I, II, IV, V or Munger must vacate by the end of the contract date. If you remain beyond the expiration date without the written permission of University Housing you will be subject to removal and additional charges for rent and service charges resulting from a stay beyond the contract period. There may also be other legal remedies available to the University.

Vacation and Break Periods

University Housing facilities remain open during the Thanksgiving and spring break periods. Limited dining service is available during these break periods. See the University Housing website for locations and hours of operation.

During the University break between fall term and winter term, residence halls are completely closed and residents must vacate the premises. Northwood Community Apartments and Munger Graduate Residences remain open between fall and winter terms. Residents must follow procedures provided by University Housing staff at their building or hall level.

Extended Stay

You may not remain in your room or apartment beyond the contract end date. In rare cases, exceptions may be permitted. Residents must follow whatever processes are required to request a stay beyond their contract end date. Additional charges may apply. See the University Housing website for additional information.


Subletting of contracted space is not permitted.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *