The School retains a number of undergraduate dissertations each year for learning and teaching purposes.
The School retains a number of undergraduate dissertations each year for use in teaching and learning, and to celebrate the excellent quality of our students' research activities.
These dissertations are available for current undergraduates to view here. They remain anonymous, as they were submitted anonymously.
They are provided as exemplars, for reference only, and should not be downloaded, copied or transmitted in whole or in part, in any format. They should not be copied or provided to any other person.
The School nominates a number of undergraduate dissertations each year for UK-wide prizes. Nominated dissertations are included in this collection.
Further dissertations will be added at the end of each academic year. They are added as PDF files unless otherwise noted.
2012 - History
Theses and Dissertations
In the UK, thesis usually means an unpublished work submitted for a doctoral degree, while a dissertation is a work produced at undergraduate or masters' level.
Lancaster University doctoral theses must be deposited with the Library when a degree is awarded. They will be searchable in OneSearch as soon as possible.
- If you know the author or title of the thesis, search OneSearch and limit your search to Theses/Dissertations using the 'Limit to:' dropdown.
- If you wish to browse through recent theses from your department, go to Advanced Search, and set the Material type to Theses/Dissertations. Use the Publication date box to set the date, and put the name of the Department into one of the search boxes. Click on the Lancaster Collections tab.
- Theses and dissertations are for use only within the Library. Ask at the Information Point.
- Some theses have been digitised by the British Library and are available in their Electronic Theses Online Service (EThOS) database.
Masters' and Undergraduate Theses and Dissertations
Theses and dissertations at other levels do not have to be deposited with the Library. However many masters' theses are presented to the Library and can be found via OneSearch.
- MBA dissertations are not held in the Library and may be consulted in the Management School.
- Undergraduate dissertations are sometimes available in departmental offices.